.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

I'll Fly Away




Lovingly this drawing (soon to be painting) is dedicated to my dear friend Betty Bowen who passed away last Sunday, July 25th. She led a wonderful life of 73 years married to Ron Bowen and was blessed with 19 Grandchildren and 3 Great Grandchildren. Her funeral yesterday was a beautiful tribute to her life as her Grandchildren shared their fun, funny, and tender memories of their Grandma. One particular funny moment being her rather tall Grandson calling his Grandma "Cute as a button" because she seriously was the cutest little Grandma I've ever seen barely reaching 4'10"!
I worked with Betty at our Church office and she would come in to volunteer to do whatever was needed to be done while her husband Ron worked as the Senior Pastor. I remember one day I brought in a box of sugar-free cookies, the kind with the red sugary circle on top and yummy cream in the middle (I'm not sure what they were called)... I will never forget the look of pleasure on her face when she had her first bite, her whole face lit up as though I had just given her a precious treasure. Betty had diabetes so for her to find a sugar-free cookie was a real treat! She was a truly special lady filled with love that overflowed to everyone who knew her. Now, she is with the Father in Heaven. When I think of her I think of her as a butterfly flying home, she was so tiny and precious and fragile because she was so small... I love you and I will miss you Betty! I'm looking forward to meeting you in Heaven.

I will post my drawing as it progresses into a painting. Hugs and Happy Creating Everyone! I hope you are having a fabulous weekend!

Photobucket

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Betty sounds like a sweet person and I'm sorry to hear of her passing.

A'n'G Johnson said...

what a sweet little tribute

Susan HP said...

What a beautiful tribute. Your writing makes me wish I had know her, and I can't wait to see the beautiful butterfly emerge!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful tribute to your very special friend...I can't wait to see your picture completed.....

Rebecca Anthony said...

Beautiful Kelly! It's funny, I believe both my Grand mother's have come back to me as butterflies! The day they each died I had a butterfly land on me so I can't help but think of that. It's not like that happens everyday. Your message here was beautiful as well as your drawing!

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Kelly,
How lovely that you have such beautiful thoughts of your friend.
Looking forward to seeing her tribute picture finished.
Hugs,
Anna

Stephanie said...

She has a wonderful smile. I'm sure she touched everyone around her!

Jo said...

What a moving tribute to such a dear sweet friend. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished painting.
Hugs xx