.

Friday, September 4, 2009

My Safe Places - Journal Entry



My safe places page came from a journal prompt in one of my art journaling books called 'We Dare You' by Kristina Contes, Meghan Heath Dymock, Genevieve Simmonds and Nisa Fiin. This book is fabulous and fun with intriguing challenges that really make you not only think but be real and true to yourself. I think the book is geared more to scrapbookers, however, when you take the challenges and use them as art journaling challenges the impact is just the same if not better because it personalizes each challenge. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for new challenges.
This page took me a few days which is not common for me. I really had to think about what my 'Safe Places' were in my life. The first image I drew were the wings because that is my most 'safe place' ~ in the shadow of my Saviors wings. He comforts and protects me always. I'm not certain if it shows in the picture but I painted a light layer of 'irredescent blue' and 'heavenly white' Twinkling H20's by Luminart, over the wings. This gives the wings a great shimmer.
My Hubby, what a 'godsend'! He has been there for me through both rough and awesome times and I am truly blessed by him. We are meant to have a companion to grow old with, to experience and share our lives with. I pray that everyone in the world can experience the love that I have with my husband.
Movies and books have always been able to take me to another place as I immerse myself into each storyline and character. I worked in a video store in my late teen years and there found my love of movies! I blame this for my addiction now - lol. As a child I was one of those kids who always had my nose in a book. Discussing with a girlfriend just the other day and reminiscing about 'Judy Bloom', V.C. Andrews' and 'Sweet-Valley-High' books we were taken back to our teen years giggling over the sappy story lines. Good times, good times! Hee-hee.
My art is my 'happy place' and my 'safe place'. My passion comes forth into vision and transformed onto page or canvas. I have always drawn. I remember having a sticker collection as a young girl and I would draw my stickers, then I would draw images I would see in magazines... this bloomed into a love and passion for anything 'ART'!
I am blessed by great peace as I look upon this page.
Happy creating everyone! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Photobucket

10 comments:

Melissa S. said...

What a terrific page Kelly! I love your imagery and could not agree with your hiding places, more! Safe in Him. (PS. I am trying a K. Kingsbury book from your recommends)Also...the banner is splendiforous!

Kelly said...

Melissa;
Thanks for your comments. I know that you will love the K. Kingsbury book. I have fallen in love with all of them.

Lynn Cohen said...

Lovely page in your journal...it flows...love your printing too...very artzy.

Timaree said...

I love your new banner. This page is terrific also. I'm glad you feel the peace when you look on the work you made. It should make you feel good.

Alex said...

Awesome details and it's bursting with creativity! Thanks for dropping by and I really appreciate that you like the invitation design too. :)

Linda Jo said...

Beautiful piece! I love art journals. Glad you joined us at Christian Paper Artists!

Mixed Media Martyr said...

I just love those wings, Kelly!!! They really make it seem like a safe place.

CreativeMish said...

You did a great job on this! Love the wings

daysease said...

I love this Safe Place page!! Great colors, great format, great message... great page. Thank you for sharing... really. and fascinated by the book you mentioned. love creative prompts... have a great day.

celita
http://daysease.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!